23 January 2009

Friday Nights (not really)

are typically lame around these parts. In fact, I am surprised that I am still awake. But I am enjoying the peace and quiet as Mark is out walking the dogs and the children are sound asleep. I pulled out some work to do from my backpack, but I can't bring myself to actually doing anything with it. That would be the ultimate in Friday Night Taboo.

So I just stretched like a cat warming up to his already warm spot and felt the tightness and the healing of my core from last night's yoga class. I am thankful that Mark was home on time and that I was able to go. I am even more appreciative that Parker taught the class. She began the evening not with Child's Pose as she typically does, but by saying, "Would you like to try something different tonight?"

Everyone moaned.

Parker is notorious for workouts that reveal brutal honesty about yourself. You can't help but be 100% aware in her class. Lots of things come up that have made me want to run away and hide, but she doesn't let you. Thank golly.

Then, after the noise lost its spark, she said, "Let's begin in shavasana."

Me, out loud, "Right on."

So we began lying flat on our backs, arms and legs loosely hanging by our sides, eyes closed, breath growing deeper with each inhale, exhale. completely. Letting go, balancing, centering, letting go.

Parker worked us from the ground up. We flowed into some yin poses, then up to all fours for a downward facing dog, a few chair poses, some twists, balancing half moon and a mangled tree (for me anyway... a little off balance), bird of paradise with a flying crow... I can't remember the sequence enough to write it (although I bet if I tried right now, I could physically work it out almost the way she instructed), but I do know that it was harmonizing, grounding, forgiving, restorative. And evidently and clearly Yoga Parker Style because my abs hurt like no one's business.

Our story came full circle when we ended in shavasana, which is the most challenging --and most rewarding--yoga pose of all. Next time you need a challenge, just lay there on your back with your eyes shut and relax. Can you stay present without "listing" everything you need to do? Can you resist dreamy unconsciousness? Can you acknowledge the fragments of thoughts that are interfering with the quiet, yet consciously let them go all at the same time?

I floated out of the studio drenched in sweat, glowing with renewed energy, and, of course, starving! Thank you, Parker, for teaching me yoga yesterday and for reminding me that I am teachable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so yoga lame these days, Bridge. Literally and figuratively. I'm meditating for about 20 minutes 4-5 days out of the week, but I am so not even close to pulling out my mat again or driving my ass to the gym....

Bridgette said...

Do a downward dog every time you see Annie do one.